Turnbull, "A Lamb"

Yes, I saw a lamb where they’ve built a new housing
    estate, where cares are parked in garages, where streets
   have names like Fern Hill Crescent.

I saw a lamb where television aerials sprout from
    chimneypots, where young men guun their motorbikes,
    where mothers watch from windows between lace
    curtains.

I saw a lamb, I tell you, where lawns in front are neatly
    clipped, where cabbages and cauliflowers grow in back
    gardens, where doors and gates are newly painted.

I saw a lamb, there in the dusk, the evening fires just lit,
    a scent of coal-smoke in the air, the sky faintly bruised
    by the sunset.

Yes, I saw it.  I was troubled.  I wanted to ask someone,
    anyone, something, anything . . .

A man in a raincoat coming home from work but he was
    in a hurry.  I went in at the next gate and rang the
    doorbell, and rang, but no one answered.

I noticed that the lights in the house were out.  Someone
    shouted at me from an upstairs windon next door,
    “They’re on holiday.  What do you want?”  And I turned
    away because I wanted nothing

but a lamb in a green field.


Gael Turnbull

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"