Foster, "Childhood's Room"

My childhood room: my bed, the curtained sky
above the neighbor's roof; storm windows, square
just-vacuumed carpet; dresser, desk, and chair;
a life in drawers, preserved against the day
I might require it. Home is where you stay--
where now I stay at Christmas every year,
beside myself: boxed with the past, unsure
what place is left my heart can verify.

But worst: he stays here with me, out of sight,
holding his secret expectations tight,
turning his clear new mind to every whim--
games, insects, foreign coins, math, fairy tales . . .
Or lies awake. And I know what he feels,
there waiting, deceived, for me to happen to him.

Greg Foster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"