Strand, "Storm"

On the last night of our house arrest
a howling wind tore through the streets,
ripping down shutters, scattering roof tiles,
leaving behind a river of refuse. When the sun
rose over the marble gate, I could see the guards,
sluggish in the morning heat, desert their posts
and stagger toward the woods just out of town.
“Darling,” I said, “let’s go, the guards have left,
the place is a ruin.” But she was oblivious.
“You go,” she said, and she pulled up the sheet
to cover her eyes. I ran downstairs and called
for my horse. “To the sea,” I whispered, and off
we went and how quick we were, my horse and I,
riding over the fresh green fields, as if to our freedom.


Mark Strand

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"