Doty, excerpt from "The Wings"

If endlessness offered itself to me today
I don’t think I’d have done anything

differently.  I was looking out the car window
at the unlikely needlepoint wild asters made

of an October slope, blue starry heads
heaped upon each other, too wet and heavy

with their own completion to stand.
I didn’t even stop, but that brief

yellow-eyed punctuation in a field
gone violet and golden at once,

sudden and gone, is more than I can say.
There’s simply no way to get it right,

and it was just one thing.  Holsteins,
a little down the road, paraded

toward the evening’s expected comforts;
two cats in the long grass

observed.  By a rowboat-sized pond
one slanting ram floated on the thinnest legs.

There were geese.  There were:
the day’s narration is simple assertion;

it’s enough to name the instances.
Don’t let anybody tell you

death’s the price exacted
for the ability to love;

couldn’t we live forever
without running out of occasions?


Mark Doty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"