Addonizio, "New Year's Day"

The rain this morning falls
on the last of the snow
 
and will wash it away. I can smell
the grass again, and the torn leaves
 
being eased down into the mud.
The few loves I’ve been allowed
 
to keep are still sleeping
on the West Coast. Here in Virginia
 
I walk across the fields with only
a few young cows for company.
 
Big-boned and shy,
they are like girls I remember
 
from junior high, who never 
spoke, who kept their heads
 
lowered and their arms crossed against 
their new breasts. Those girls
 
are nearly forty now. Like me, 
they must sometimes stand
 
at a window late at night, looking out 
on a silent backyard, at one
 
rusting lawn chair and the sheer walls
of other people’s houses.
 
They must lie down some afternoons
and cry hard for whoever used
 
to make them happiest,
and wonder how their lives
 
have carried them
this far without ever once
 
explaining anything. I don’t know
why I’m walking out here
 
with my coat darkening
and my boots sinking in, coming up
 
with a mild sucking sound
I like to hear. I don’t care
 
where those girls are now.
Whatever they’ve made of it
 
they can have. Today I want
to resolve nothing.
 
I only want to walk
a little longer in the cold
 
blessing of the rain,
and lift my face to it.

Kim Addonizio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"