Vuong, "Telemachus"


Like any good son, I pull my father out
of the water, drag him by his hair
 
through white sand, his knuckles carving a trail
the waves rush in to erase. Because the city
 
beyond the shore is no longer
where we left it. Because the bombed
 
cathedral is now a cathedral
of trees. I kneel beside him to see how far
 
I might sink. Do you know who I am,
Ba? But the answer never comes. The answer
 
is the bullet hole in his back, brimming
with seawater. He is so still I think
 
he could be anyone's father, found
the way a green bottle might appear
 
at a boy's feet containing a year
he has never touched. I touch
 
his ears. No use. I turn him
over. To face it. The cathedral
 
in his sea-black eyes. The face
not mine—but one I will wear
 
to kiss all my lovers good-night:
the way I seal my father's lips
 
with my own & begin
the faithful work of drowning.
 
 
Ocean Vuong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"