Alexander, "Ars Poetica #100: I Believe"

 Poetry, I tell my students,
 is idiosyncratic. Poetry

 is where we are ourselves,
 (though Sterling Brown said

 “Every ‘I’ is a dramatic ‘I’”)
 digging in the clam flats

 for the shell that snaps,
 emptying the proverbial pocketbook.

 Poetry is what you find
 in the dirt in the corner,

 overhear on the bus, God
 in the details, the only way

 to get from here to there.
 Poetry (and now my voice is rising)

 is not all love, love, love,
 and I’m sorry the dog died.

 Poetry (here I hear myself loudest)
 is the human voice,

 and are we not of interest to each other?




Elizabeth Alexander

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"

Maggie Smith, "Rain, New Year's Eve"