Sarah Kay, "Evaporate"

 Today lasted so long, by the time I arrived at nightfall,
I had forgotten that this morning was this morning.

It seemed so far away, like yesterday, or the day before.
And days and days and days unfolded in the hours between

when first I woke and when now I sit. I notice minutes
move, much more than when I was younger.

Today I looked at my face in a mirror.
I braided my hair. I put on a dress.

Today a child shook my hand like a grown-up
and told me she was in the sixth grade.

It sounded like she said she wasn’t the sick grey
which made me think that is what she thought I was.

I am watching parts of me evaporate like sidewalk water.
This wet grey, this nighttime dew, gone before morning



Sarah Kay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"