Jayanta Mahapatra, "More in Dreams than in the Flesh"

 No wind. No storm.
Just the trees heaving in their own sorrow.
The girl next door who went missing a week ago
Has come back; the faces of her parents stare
Like bare, wounded hills beyond the river.
Often a dream makes one afraid
Of the things one might do. It frightens one
That despair seems to have no boundaries.
The laments for a death are over while death
Is warm and safe and drifts into sleep
In a child’s dream.

Some time back I had stumbled
On the decomposing bodies of a young couple
On the hill slope behind the temple. The girl
Couldn’t have been more than sixteen years old.
I had made a great effort to defend myself.
Her half-open eyes now wander through
My subdued Sunday mornings as though testing
The courage it took to be a man.

No wind. No storm.
Just the vague light of daybreak
Coming down from the hilltops.
An unknown darkening is in my breath.
And I knew death is born to us in the same way
As when we cast our nets into the night
And draw in the shapes of day.


Jayanta Mahapatra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eavon Boland, "An Elegy for My Mother in which She Scarcely Appears"

Sharon Olds, "The Race"

Aria Aber, "Oakland in Rain"